By ELIZABETH WHITE
The idea that Valentine’s Day is just for people should be thrown out the window. Dogs are man’s best friend, and who better to spend the holiday dedicated to love with?
All dogs know is unconditional love and they will never let you down, so show your dog how much you really love them this Valentine’s Day.
1. Make heart-shaped dog treats
What better way to show your love for your dog than with treats? Try this easy recipe from BarkPost for dog- friendly goodies.
3 cups whole wheat our (can also be substituted with grain-free ours)
1 cup pure pumpkin puree 3 tablespoons all natural peanut butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 2. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin and peanut butter and whisk thoroughly. 3.Add liquid mixture to our in a separate bowl and knead into dough.
4. Roll out dough using a roller until it’s about 1/2 inch thick.
5. Using a heart or bone- shaped cookie cutter, cut out the shapes from the prepared dough.
6. Stamp letters into your dough using a special letter press (optional).
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Let cool for 15 minutes.
2. Watch a movie and snuggle
After all, “Because of Winn-Dixie” is a canine’s favorite movie. Choose a happy movie, make some popcorn and pile on the blankets to enjoy a nice evening together.
3. Share a “Lady and the Tramp” inspired dinner
Okay, maybe you shouldn’t share spaghetti with your pup, but you can still enjoy a nice dinner together. Dim the lights, light some candles and enjoy a nice home cooked meal with your pooch.
4. Write a love letter
Sure, your dog can’t read, but who cares? Pour your heart out and write down all your feelings for your furry friend… just maybe don’t tell anyone about this.
5. Make a playlist to listen to with your dog
Listen to dog-inspired songs this Valentine’s Day with your furry friends. Check out Spotify’s playlist “Pawmazing Dog Songs” for inspiration and then create your own.
6. Donate to a shelter in your dog’s name
Even if it’s only a few dollars, every bit helps. Give the gift of giving back in your pup’s name to help less fortunate dogs.
7. Buy matching shirts
What better way to show your love than matching best friend shirts? Purchase adorable shirts for you and your pooch, ranging from Etsy for $27.99 to $36.99.