Knights Pull Out Overtime Win Over Bucknell


Layout & Design Editor

The men’s soccer team pulled out a dramatic overtime win over Bucknell on Sept. 27, coming back from a 2-0 de cit to win 3-2. The deciding goal was scored by junior forward Fredinho Mompremier in the 91st minute o an assist by Diego Arribas.

The Knights showed considerable presence on the eld the whole game, keeping the ball in the attacking third for most of the game. Each time Bucknell got into Knights territory, they seemed to score.

The first goal came in the 14th minute from sophomore mid elder Bernie Wright, assisted by freshman mid elder Matt Thorsheim. It was Wright’s first of the season. This shot was preceded by two missed shots by sophomore mid fielder Patrick Mahoney.


The second goal came in the 52nd minute from Bucknell’s sophomore mid elder Nick King, assisted by senior forward Ben Derleth. It was King’s third of the season. As Bucknell went up 2-0 in a game that seemed to feature a Bison offense that scored consistently after it crosses the middle line, the chances of an FDU comeback seemed slim.

Though FDU did a great job of keeping the ball on the attacking side of the pitch, they did not have as much luck getting it in the goal. That changed in the 64th minute.

Junior forward Ahu Obhakhan scored FDU’s first goal of the match then, assisted by freshman forward Diego Arribas. It was his fifth on the season. Even though FDU struck back to make it a one score game, it still seemed unlikely they could

pull it out given the Bison’s opportunistic offensive performance.

But FDU kept the crowd on the edges of their seats. It wasn’t until the 86th minute that sophomore mid elder Daniel Lasarte scored his second goal of the season, assisted by Arribas. Fredinho Mompremier added to the suspense in the 87th minute with missed shot wide left. After a missed shot by senior mid elder Dan Bank, it was headed to overtime, which wasn’t long.

After just a minute and ten seconds working the ball into Bucknell territory, Arribas assisted on his third goal of the game, getting the ball to Mompremier, who sunk it into the goal. After one of the more intense games of the year, the crowd deservedly went wild.

Sophomore Sebastian Ferriera started at goalkeeper for FDU, allowing one goal during his time in the first half. Freshman Tiago Capela came in at halftime to relieve Ferriera, playing the second half and overtime. Each goalkeeper allowed one of Bucknell’s two goals, and Capela made two saves in the second half to keep the game within reach.

The men’s soccer team begins NEC play on Friday at Bryant. They’ve put together

a 6-2-1 record this season, and have been great on the road, with a 3-0-1 record. The Bulldogs limp into the match without a win yet this season, posting an 0-7-1 record thus far, earning that tie in their last game at Hartwick.

The Knights will be back in action at home just two days later on Oct. 8 against St. Francis Brooklyn at 7 p.m.