The Holiday Season is upon us and while this is a time to enjoy family and friends, it is also a time that you must remember to take proper safety precautions. This is a time of year when you have more social and business obligations and the normal security and safety practices you follow are sometimes forgotten. Hopefully these tips will keep you from becoming a victim of holiday crime.
At Work or in Residence Halls Before Leaving For Holiday Break:
• Lock all doors, windows and cabinets.
• If you have any lock problems, broken windows or doors, make sure you report them.
• Remove any valuables from desktops, window sills and shelves. If possible remove all personal valuable items and take them home.
• Unplug electrical appliances, coffee makers; heaters, etc. report any electrical problems.
• Remove any stored combustible materials (newspapers, books, boxes, etc.) from any heating or electrical outlets.
• Make sure you have a vehicle emergency kit.
• Give yourself plenty of time to get where you are going.
• Always wear your seat belts.
• Never Drink and Drive.
• Park in well lighted areas.
• Avoid shopping alone.
• Always be aware of your surroundings.
• If you carry a purse or bag, carry it close to your body.
• Keep your vehicle doors and windows locked.
• Place all gifts and packages in the trunk or out of sight.
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
• Report any lost or suspicious activity on your credit cards immediately.
• Keep all doors and windows locked.
• Do not display presents under the tree where they can be seen from a window.
• If out of town, stop your mail and newspaper delivery, put a light on a timer and notify your local police that you will be away.
Please remember to like the Department of Public Safety on Facebook at FDU Metro Department of Public Safety or follow us on Twitter @FDUMetroPS.
If you have any questions or concerns about any crime prevention or safety topic or issue, please do not hesitate to contact me.
On behalf of all the men and women of the Department of Public Safety, I want to wish each and everyone a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.